Where have I been so far? Eurotrip recapitulative.
On my first ever Eurotrip, there are three major routes and one minor one. The map above plots these routes together, each shown in a different colour.
Over a period of nine months, I visited a bunch of places across fifteen European countries in the following order:
- Northern Ireland
- The Vatican City
- Czech Republic
- The Netherlands
The first major route was my trip with Marianela through the United Kingdom and then on a tour bus operated by Contiki.
We spent five weeks travelling together and saw a great deal of Europe.
- UK: London > Dublin > Galway > Belfast > Dublin > London
- France: Paris, Serves-Sur-Rhônes, Nice
- Switzerland: Lucerne, Lautebrunnen
- Spain: Barcelona
- Italy: Pisa, Florence, Rome, Orvietto, Venice
- The Vatican City
- Austria: Vienna
- Germany: Munich, Dresden, Berlin
- Czech Republic: Prague
- The Netherlands: Amsterdam, Volendam
The second major route was my solo tour around France, where I spent the good part of six months. I spent quite some time doing Workaway stays and Couchsurfing. This was the best thing I have ever done. I challenged myself, I met amazing people who I will keep as friends for life, I experienced many typical French things, I saw more of France than most French people!
Below in the list, I have underlined places where I did Workaway stays, and italic-underlined the places where I Couchsurfed.
- Isle de France: Paris
- Rhônes Alpes: Aime-La-Plagne and surrounds, Lyon
- Limousin: Tulle and surrounds
- Midi-Pyrenées: Puy-L’Evêque and surrounds, Toulouse, Lourdes
- Acquitaine: Bordeaux, St-Jean-Pied-de-Port and surrounds
- Pays de La Loire: Nantes
- Bretagne: Brest and surrounds, Rennes and surrounds
- Centre: Le Mans, Orléans
- Normandie: Yvetot and surrounds
Still there are cities I would like to visit: Lile in the North, Strasbourg to the East, Dijon near the centre, and Montpellier to the South.
The third major route was that of Le Chemin de Saint-Jacques de Compostelle (El Camino de Santiago de Compostella) and I travelled with Matthew and Aaron (plus a new friend, Samantha, who we met along the way). This was mostly on foot over 29 days, particularly from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago de Compostella.
Fisterra onwards was holiday travelling with Matthew, Aaron and Samantha.
There are so many Spanish villages that we visited, so I will name a few of the major ones only.
- Spain: Roncesvalles, Pamplona, Lorgoño, Burgos, Léon, Fisterra, Madrid
- Portugal: Lisbon
- France: Nice, Monaco, Lyon, Paris
- Italy: La Spezia, La Cinque Terre (Riamaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza, Monterosso Al Mare), Torino
And here is my holiday with Pun, after which he brought me home.
- France: Paris, Versailles, Disneyland Paris
- Belgium: Brusells, Bruges
- The Netherlands: Amsterdam, Volendam, Marken
- Hong Kong (stop over)
- Australia: Sydney
Leave a comment