The hills of Kerala are beautiful, definitely make some time to visit if you are in the region – but ensure you allow yourself a travel day either side of your séjour.
I was fighting slumber all day, a 12-hour battle. I won!
We travelled from the backwaters of Alleppey to the foothills – here’s how to get to Munnar:
- From Alleppey, we took the government ferry to Kottayam– 15 rupees and 2.5 hours
- From Kottayam, we took a local non-ac bus to Thekkady– 70 rupees and 3 hours
- From Thekkady, we took another local non-ac bus to Nedekondom– 35 rupees and 2 hours
- From Nedekondom, we took a short bus ride on local non-ac bus to Poopara – 15 rupees and 30 minutes
- From Poopara, we took the final bus into Munnar – 26 rupees and 1.5 hours
The journey was not too bad, BUT I had taken a fairly strong dose of phenergen (anti-histamine) and it was the drowsy kind. I was fighting slumber all day, a 12-hour battle. I won!